- Former shop worker has been searching for offers and deals since January
- So-called ‘extreme couponer’ says she finds bargain-hunting ‘addictive’
- 21-year-old has spent just £350 on £2,500 worth of food, drink and gifts
- Presents she has amassed include Xbox, expensive perfume and clothes
- She’s been so successful she has now donated presents to local hospital
A shopper dubbed ‘the Coupon Queen’ has saved more than £2,000 on her Christmas shopping by hunting for bargains throughout the year.
Emma Mumford, 21, from Dorchester, Dorset, has spent just £350 on a luxury Christmas for her and her family – but got £2,500 worth of food, drink and presents thanks to coupons and offers.
Ms Mumford is a so-called ‘extreme couponer’ and spends hours hunting out the best deals and bargains.
Emma Mumford has saved £2,000 on Christmas presents and food by collecting coupons during the year
She has been searching out deals and offers since January this year to save as much money as possible.
Her ‘addiction’ to finding deals has allowed her to amass a huge haul of expensive and luxury presents for her mother, father and boyfriend Mitch.
She said: ‘I love getting a bargain – it is addictive. I have been preparing for this Christmas since the end of the last one – January sales are a great place to pick up bargains.
‘I noticed lots of great deals in the shops and online about August so I made an effort to collect bits and bobs such as Gucci perfume, Body Shop toiletries and make up.
‘I love the rush of getting a good bargain and I have been lucky enough to use my experience to help others save money.
Her love of offers and coupons has led her to set up her own business advising others on how to save
‘I know it can seem a bit daunting to begin with, but with a little bit of effort serious savings can be made.’
Ms Mumford made the huge savings by checking price comparison websites and as a result collected more presents than she needed for Christmas.
After sorting out gifts for all of her family, she has even been able to donate £1,000 worth of presents to her local hospital.
She said: ‘It has been so nice to have Christmas sorted and not having to worry about being in debt or breaking the bank.
‘I wanted to get high quality presents for my family and show that you can do it without spending a fortune.
‘There is a misconception that everyone who does couponing only gets value products but through my careful shopping I have managed to purchase designer perfumes, a high end coffee machine and an Xbox One for a fraction of the recommended retail price.’
Since starting saving money a year ago, Ms Mumford has quit her job working in Next to work full time as a ‘couponer’.
She has now turned her bargain-hunting obsession into a business where she scouts out the best deals and offer tips to the general public through video blogging and her Extreme Couponing Facebook Page.
She now has over 80,000 likes on her Facebook page and dedicates her days to dishing out money-saving advice.
She said: ‘What started as a hobby to help me save money has turned into my life and I am able to run a business helping people save money.
‘I know what it feels like to struggled as my ex-partner had a lot of debt which I took on for him. We were in a dire situation where every penny counted.
‘That’s what really spurred me on. I saw the Extreme Couponing programme on TV and I thought How are these Americans doing it?
‘I thought there must be something here in the UK that can help me so I just went online, found a few sites and started from there and then it just grew.’
Her bargain hunting is so successful she’s managed to donate £1,000 worth of presents to her local hospital
She added: ‘I want to show people that being a couponer isn’t just about beings stingy or tight with money. I have managed to coupon luxury presents such as Gucci perfume, a coffee machine and Xbox and make up.
‘I try and show people that it is just a little bit of work in the beginning but it will eventually pay off. One of the best things to do is just to be a bit forward thinking and save throughout the year.
‘Christmas is expensive for everyone, no matter how little or how much you spend- but I am so pleased to have a luxury Christmas all wrapped up for under £500.’
SANTA SAVER: A LIST OF MS MUMFORD’S SAVING FOR CHRISTMAS 2014
– Xbox One (pictured, right) + GTA 5: £220 Black Friday offer and clubcard vouchers- RRP £380
– Gucci aftershave: £20 Amazon sale and discount code- RRP £66
– Make up and beauty products: FREE – RRP £250 free beauty gifts with other purchases and vouchers
– 2x dresses: £2 Shop sale – RRP £30
– 2x Next perfume sets: £5 with new customer codes- RRP £24
– Thornton’s chocolate (pictured, below) 10 x boxes: £15 offer + code- RRP £75
– 6x Mini Baileys: FREE promotional offer RRP £30
– 6x free Gillette razors: FREE RRP £42 (£7 each)
– David Beckham aftershave: FREE offer + clubcard vouchers – RRP £15
– Body Shop toiletries: £2 sale plus discount codes plus gift cards free with magazine- RRP £140
– Turkey FREE Tesco product testing- RRP £8
– Christmas cards and wrapping: £1 bought online from China and homemade RRP £6
– Minecraft paper set: £8 half price plus discount code- RRP £50
– Football: FREE radio ring in competition- RRP £13
– Selection boxes and chocolate: £4 store promotions and brand coupons – RRP £30
– 12x bottles of Shloer: £5.38 store promotions and coupons -RRP £27.36
– 3x packs of mince pies FREE Shopitize cashback app- RRP £2.85
– 2x watches: £2 online sale- RRP £15
– Beauty gift sets: FREE Dove, Baylis & Harding etc store offers and coupons and clubcard boost – RRP £85
– 12x Tesco finest dark chocolate bars £2 reduced to clear – RRP £15.36
– 3x large Yankee candles: £25 with coupons – RRP £60
– 3x Carling cider: FREE with cash back app – RRP £3.80
– Tassimo coffee machine: £25 sale + voucher code- RRP £110
– 4x Cadburys advent Calendars FREE vouchers- RRP £6
– 2x iMac keyboards: FREE online glitch – RRP £55
– 1x 2packs of men’s designer socks: FREE new customer offer -RRP £15
– Kindle £30: Black Friday discounts- RRP £90
– Beauty gift sets: £3 offers + coupons – RRP £60
-Male and female toiletries including Dove, Bodyshop, Gilette, Lynx and Sure: FREE accumulated over the year with couponing- RRP £370
-Make up and beauty products: FREE accumulated over the year- RRP £360
TOTAL WORTH: £2,434.37 EMMA PAID: £369.38 SAVINGS: £2,064.99