Jayde Dinsdale, 18, spent three weeks in a coma after downing the drinks at a ‘two-for-one’ night
As bubbly teenager Jayde Dinsdale chatted on the morning after a night on the town, she suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed.
It was the terrifying start of a traumatic ordeal caused by the caffeine in the Jagerbombs she had downed.
Jayde, 18, suffered three cardiac arrests in total, ended up in a coma, and had to spend three weeks in hospital.
The student said: “The doctors told me it was all to do with the energy drinks.
“Now I’m looking at how much caffeine is in these drinks and I just can’t believe they are on sale.”
She collapsed in the bathroom at home at 10am, eight hours after leaving the club where she downed the Jagerbombs – made from Jagermeister spirit and caffeine-filled energy drinks. Jayde’s terrified family administered CPR as they waited for paramedics.
Her mum Natalie, 38, said: “She was her normal bubbly self but suddenly her chest jolted and she fell to the floor, hitting her head on the bath and radiator.
“I put her in the recovery position and stabilised her but she had another fit. I screamed for my husband.
“Jayde’s pulse was very faint and she started to go purple. She was dead on the bathroom floor – it’s a miracle that she is still with us.”
As Eliesha, 12, held her sister’s head steady, dad Darryl, 38, performed CPR he learnt from the British Heart Foundation’s Stayin’ Alive ads. After arriving in intensive care, Jayde was put in an induced coma for 52 hours to protect her brain and heart.
Her family faced an agonising wait to see if she would recover.
But she emerged from the coma, then a defibrillator was implanted under the skin on her shoulder to shock her heart back into a normal rhythm if it beats too fast or too slowly.
Jayde was told by medics that when the alcohol she drank had worn off the caffeine in her system took control of her heart rate – causing it to accelerate wildly.
She said: “I hope people will think twice about energy drinks – they could be deadly.” Jayde, of Yeovil, Somerset, is trying to put the ordeal behind her.
She said: “At first I was so tired I could barely get out of bed. I’m getting better but I’m still tired.”
There was a two-for-one offer on drinks at the club in her hometown on the night in January when she had the Jagerbomb binge. Speaking about Jayde’s time in hospital, her mum said: “She was covered in tubes. Nothing can prepare you for seeing your child like that.”
Jagerbombs are often made with Red Bull. A 250ml can of the energy drink has roughly the same amount of caffeine as in a cup of coffee.
Dr David Maritz, of Yeovil District Hospital where Jayde was treated, said reports suggest children and young adults are at potential risk from high amounts of energy drinks.
Dad-of-five John Jackson, 40, of Darlaston, West Mids, died last year from a caffeine overdose after eating a pack of 12 energy mints.
A warning on the caffeine-filled Hero sweets advised people not to eat more than five in 24 hours.